Post-op appointments…

Today was a day!  Oh my!!

Today started off fine.  I didn’t have to leave for my appointments until 9:10am so technically I could sleep in, but I woke up at my normal 6:30am.  I stayed in bed until 7:45am and then got ready.  I left on time, but was surprised when I turned my car on, my battery light was on.  I got nervous, but needed to make these appointments.  So, I called my dad and asked him how concerned I should be.  He told me he didn’t know, but asked if I had time to run to their house and swap out with their truck….no and I didn’t have time to go swtich cars with my mom either….so I took my chances.  I drove the hour and 20 minutes without heat or the radio!  I also couldn’t charge my cell phone (which hasn’t been holding a charge). I made it with time to spare to my first appointment with Dr. Ruane as a follow-up to my glut med injection a month ago.  When I got to my appointment my phone was at 55%….knowing that my car wasn’t acting right, I put my phone on ultra power saving mode.

Dr. Ruane is typically on time…..but today (of all days) when I had another appointment at 11:30 am…he wasn’t!  I waited, and waited, and waited….I was getting nervous!  I finally got called back at 11:05am.  I told his MA that I thought I was going to need to reschedule.  I asked her how long it would be until I saw him.  She looked at her watch and apologized.  She told me that Dr. Ruane’s colleagues flight was cancelled last night so he was covering some of his appointments….and she said there was an accident on the highway that caused patients to be late .  She told me that she knew I drive up from Dayton, so she’d get me moved to his next patient so I could get to my appointment with Dr. Leff.  Since I’m still dealing with pain from the hernia and on intermittent pain meds…Dr. Ruane wants me to pay close attention to when the pain from my hip (glut med) and get in to see him before it gets too bad…he said “that sweet spot.” Once I got in to a room, I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.  Luckily my car started (I had planned to walk to my appointment with Dr. Leff if needed….it was less than 1/2 a mile).

I made it to Riverside with plenty of time to spare.  My appointment was at 11:30am.  Dr. Leff’s MA took me back to a room at 11:40am.  She told me that he wasn’t back from surgery yet, but would be there anytime.  Anytime turned in to 12:10pm.  I rushed and panicked for no reason!  Dr. Leff came in and asked me how I was doing….he reminded me of how much I’ve been through over the last 2 years and that things are going to take time to heal….especially since he had to convert to an open procedure.  He checked my incision and had me turn my head and cough.  He was happy with my recover so far.  We discussed my questions and he reassured me that everything I was feeling is normal.  He said that the swelling will last for months and I will need to continue to ice for awhile (and probably start icing at work throughout the day as able).  He said I need to take this recovery slow and focus on my posture when walking and focus on flexibility.  He said I probably wouldn’t start therapy until 8 weeks.  He’d prefer I wait to start swimming until closer to 8 weeks too!

I did get a copy of the op report….I’ll write more on what he actually did later.

I’m tired of being tired all the time.  It’s taken me three days to write this because I kept falling asleep after work.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s